Friday, August 27, 2010

Love this spanish flavour - blogging in Tdot - August 27, 2010

As I write this blog, I'm sitting in a new tea shop in my neighbourhood, Steeped and Infused. Seems like part of the gentrification process. It's a nice place, not the usual here but very welcome. I walked to work this morning and thought of that, not being the usual but welcome.

I think I have a usual life, nice place to live, good job, friends and such. It may seem humdrum but I better this bland existence with spicy and savoury things and adventures. My 9-5 may be scripted and somewhat controlled, if it is, my after-work life is just the opposite. Spicy and caliente! I long for my after-life to be my everyday but until that time, I enjoy them both the same. Sometimes, I wonder if I don't prefer my life a little bland with some seasonings to taste.

I ask you how you like yours. If you don't like how it tastes, then you should shake things up a bit with a little spice or flavour or better yet and still, try a new recipe.

Last weekend, I got up to some spicy things. I went with my best friend to Leslieville, Queen East, and tried the flavour of "The Comrade" before moving on to "Rasputin". "Comrade was a very nice lounge with comfy couches and a flavour of the Asian communist aesthetic, but cool. Rasputin was as it sounds, Russian with a punchy flavour. Certainly, the dry martinis straight up did nothing to dispel that particular taste. But we liked it and continued enjoying that flavour.

The next night we enjoyed the spicy latin flavours of Havana Cultura on Queen West, west Queen West. The taste of that neighbourhood was decidely different and though it was about Havana and I expected more latin flavour in the men there, it was not as my imaginary recipe envision. But good, nonetheless. I did get a flavour for the culture of Cuba, especially at Julie's Cuban where the mariachi man and the wonderful singer serenaded us and allowed us to join in in song while we munched on avocado mango salad and fried plantains. "Mucho a beso". Even if I didn' t understand the whole song, I got that bit. I highly recommend anyone visiting the Tdot dine at Julie's. It is a quaint and remarkable restaurant on Ossington. We finished up Havana Cultura club hopping. I must admit my age showed by the end as my two young male companions watched me sleep in the middle of the club, at least I was in a comfy chair so had some excuse.

This weekend, I'm celebrating my birthday early with friends, checking out Buskerfest at St. Lawrence Market, the LiveGreen Festival at Dundas Yonge Square and anything else that comes my way. I'll let you know how the recipe for this weekend turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment