Saturday, August 7, 2010

I finally have a crew! Loving the life lived with friends - Caribana - Aug 7, 2010

Yes, indeed, I finally have a "crew". Let it be said that 'you reap what you sow' or 'you plant a seed of knowldge and watch it blossom into a tree' or 'watch what you say or wish for because you might get it'. Two years ago, I wished for a crew and I said to the crew I hang out with for Brooklyn's Carnival, that I would have a crew and that their crew could hang out with my crew one day.

Then it happened. I got all my girlfriends together to celebrate Toronto's Caribana at "Glow" and before I noticed, there were eight of us women going out together to have a good time. Eight! A real crew! Wow, it was awesome. We had so much fun at the pre-party, the club, there was no need for an after-party! It's not that I don't have friends to hang out with but at a certain age you end up hanging out with one friend at a time, thereby giving each friend 'quality' time. Some of your friends serve different purposes in your life: confidante, helper, foodie, movie-goer, counsellor, listener, talker, etc.

Dis crew was for the party and strictly for enjoying life. We, well, I for sure did, put away the everyday, regular things in life and let loose to have fun. We were not those bankers, communicators, writers, teachers, professionals by day because it was night and we were women, girls, ladies out to have a great time with each other. Fabulous! We had fun at the club, it was great, they played non-stop soca music and we saw Machel Montano (http://www.machelmontanohd.com/) perform live!! We did more, we hung out at the Caribana Parade, I hung out with family, we partied some more. We rested. It was good.

Back in 1997, my crew was three of us, a small, tight crew of a sister and a friend. Back then, we saw Machel as Xstatic! at the Westin Harbourfront Hotel and it was still awesome! A verifiably magnificant experience. Now, the sister has a husband and babies, my friend and I are out of touch, yet things haven't changed for me. They have and they haven't. (Dat's another story!)

One thing I've noticed, even among my new crew, is that life experiences may try to change us, morph us and derail us but at our core we are who we are. If you are a fun-loving, attention-seeking, adventure-thriving kind of person like myslf, no job situation, relationship breakup, loss or grief is going to drown you. You will probably tumble a bit amid the waves of change but you will eventually find your feet and stand firmly in your own understanding of self. So whoever you are contemporary, renaissance man or woman, thrill-seeker, lover of life, a person of calmness and serenity or a person of calamity and chaos, you are who you are. I won't try to change you and I don't think anyone else should. You are who you are and you will be the best you can be when you learn to accept and understand that.

I've realized I am now more me than I have ever been. I could probably be more myself in a future life, but for now, right now, I am exactly myself with all my perfections and imperfections, motivations and aspirations, abmitions and conditions. I'm not even trying, I am just being. I've learned that I am not my situation, as my Dad would say, "it is what it is". Exactly right, "it is what it is", but I am who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment